Our volunteer program offers a number of ways to make a difference to our organization and children. Whether you would like to help in a classroom, assist with administrative duties, join in on the planning of a special event, or have a special skill or talent to share, we will work with you to make sure your experience is meaningful.
Volunteers in our Therapeutic Preschool will have a first-hand opportunity to experience working with children of all abilities. Volunteers are an asset in our five classrooms, which serve children ages 1-5 years. Opportunities vary depending on time of year and need, but may include assisting therapists, teachers and classroom assistants with multiple activities, such as, reading to the children, assisting with recess, helping during breakfast and lunch or swimming in the pool.
Classroom Volunteer Requirements:
- Age Requirements: Must be at least 14 years of age
- Time Commitment: For consistency and in the best interest of our children, we need classroom volunteers to be able to commit to at least one, half-day session each week for a minimum of three months (the preschool is open year-round). Volunteer shift options in our Therapeutic Preschool include: Monday – Friday between 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and Monday – Friday between 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Background Screening: Volunteers working directly with children must complete a background screening prior to orientation. You can locate background screening information here.
- Volunteer Orientation: Volunteers must participate in an orientation meeting before assisting in the classroom. Orientation meetings are scheduled individually with our Volunteer Coordinator.
Administrative Support Volunteers
We also have administrative opportunities that may include data entry, filing or cleaning.
GROUPS OR CORPORATE VOLUNTEERS
(4 or more individuals)
We welcome corporate or group volunteers all year round. Our volunteer coordinator will work with your company or group organizer to tailor an experience to your group’s size, allotted time and desired activity.
Here are just a few examples of corporate or group volunteer opportunities:
- Music Activity: For those with musical talents or an interest in music, we can assist you with coordinating an interactive performance for our children.
- Swim Day: Many companies have spent a morning or afternoon swimming in the pool with the children in our Therapeutic Preschool. This activity is a special treat for our children as we must have one adult for every child in the classroom.Holiday or Seasonal Themed Activities: Help our staff by developing an activity, craft project, or themed décor connected to an annual holiday or season of the year (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, spring—planting, summer-water activity, etc.).
- Parents Night Out: Twice a year (November and April) the agency holds this event for our families. Volunteers are needed to collaborate with staff on the event activities, entertainment, and to provide snacks/meals for the children at each event. Additionally, volunteers are needed to provide night of event coverage support along with Children’s TLC staff.
- Field Trips: Host and sponsor a field trip for a classroom of students to local sites and attractions. Experiential learning helps our children by exposing them to educational activities and new environments.
HIGH SCHOOL VOLUNTEERS
Area high schools may schedule a service day or days for their students to gain valuable hands-on experience working directly with a team of professionals and the children enrolled in our Therapeutic Preschool. A few times a year, student volunteers may also have the opportunity to receive service hours by assisting staff at off-site fundraising events.
High School Volunteer Summer Session: June 2, 2014 – July 31, 2014. High school students are invited to spend the summer in our Therapeutic Preschool. Volunteers must be at least 14 years old and able to commit at least one, half-day session each week.
Each year we count on nearly 3,000 volunteer hours throughout our four annual fundraising events. Individuals, groups of friends, families and corporations have the opportunity to participate in the planning and implementation of the events such as the Children’s TLC Groundhog Run, which raises over $230,000 for our agency. Check out our upcoming events for volunteer opportunities or contact our volunteer coordinator Sarah, at 816-751-7901.